Frayed Tempers

10 posts in this topic

Autumn 1.png

Date.png12th August 952

Location.pngDenerim, Fereldan

Characters.pngAndrew, Briana

Players.png@Jax @Zyah_Rayne

Requirements.png1x1

Notes.pngNormally Andrew doesnt disagree with anything his Knight Captain does, but when he discovers she is off to Soldiers Peak, then the Knight Sergeant believes he has to stop her going. No matter what. 

Links.png

Autumn Divider 1.png

Andrew was overseeing the training of the new arrivals, his mind however was on other things. He had seen Briana's orders, her companies orders, and that meant his orders. Right now his mood reflected in the barking he gave the new bloods. They may have passed thier initial training and taken thier first drafts but they were a long long way from being Templars. If any of them were going to be joining his company, then he wanted them at thier best. 

Only the best ever got to ride in Knight Captain Talons company. 

Andrew had begged the Revered mother, almost to the point that he was on his knees, not to send Briana to Soldiers Peak. Not that he didn't believe she couldn't handle what was there, or might be there, but more because of WHO was there. Briana had come a long way since those times, a very long way and he did not think seeing HIM again would do anything other than stir up memories and pains she did not need right now. 

The mother had dismissed his concerns as had the Knight Commander and Andrew was hoping against hope that maybe something else would come up and have another Company heading to that cursed Warden hotbed of mages. 

He showed his displeasure at the junior knights by making them run round the compound in full armour with thier packs on thier backs. If they thought he was harsh, they were lucky, his Training officer was a hell of a lot tougher than he ever was, 

"Andrew" He turned as fellow Knight Sergeant Daniel came over "Bri is on her way to see you, just thought i'd give you a heads up"

Andrew nodded but, folding his arms across his chest watched the hour glass as he watched the recruits. 

1 person likes this

With her new orders given that morning Briana was getting ready to head out to the Grey Warden compound Soldiers Peak. But when she went to gather her men she found them running laps. With a slight frown she ordered them to stop, refresh and regroup. They were to head out as soon as possible. After a quick salute her men did as instructed and Briana set her sights on Andrew. He'd been acting out of sorts after they received their new orders and though she did not know he'd gone behind her back to request those orders be changed she was fully aware he was not happy with them.

Briana approached her best friend who was obviously in a mood. Whenever he crossed his arms he was in some sort of mood. Thankfully they were left alone in the yard which allowed her to speak to him in less a formal manner than what their uniforms dictated. "You and others should have been preparing to leave for Soldiers Peak, not running training exercises. What is with you, anyways?" She brow furrowed.

1 person likes this

"Nothing" He shortly replied "i was just getting the men and women ready to leave, because you know Mages" 

He thought that would have been obvious, even to her. It wasn't a complete lie after all, every mage in Fereldan knew damn well that they had safe harbour within the Grey Wardens. Some of the worst mage criminals usually found thier lives spared by taking the joining. As much as Andrew respected the work the Grey Wardens did, it grated his last Andraste blessed nerve that they could become a Grey Warden and have no repercussions for thier deeds. 

He respected the Wardens, thier sacrifice known throughout history, it didn't mean he wanted to storm into the major keep of the Warden Mages either. Especially with who was in charge there. 

"I just think we could be doing something more productive than cleaning up after the Wardens AGAIN" He really did not want her pursuing this line of questioning, "Just head to Haven like we are supposed to do, aid in keeping the Avvar at bay or the Chasind, something other than Warden Mages" 

1 person likes this

Briana shook her head in disagreement. "It is our duty. That is why we are going. It doesn't matter if they are Grey Wardens." Briana wasn't buying Andrew's excuses. He was on edge about something and him refusing to say what it was made her even more determined to figure out why. "I honestly don't see why you're so against this. We are going to the Soldiers Peak." Her tone left no more room for discussion about the matter.

1 person likes this

Andrew was about to say something when some hapless messenger came from the Revered Mother to inform both the Sergeant and his Captain of the protocols involved in meeting with Warden Commander Guthrie at Soldiers Peak. Andrew cursed under his breath and told the messenger to go. Seeing Briana's face at that moment and he knew there was a storm coming on the horizon. 

well maybe not the horizon, more like between the two of them, here and now, Fuck it every-time that mans name was even hinted at and Briana always went on the defensive and now was not going to be any different then the other times. 

"Now you know why i don't want you going to Soldiers Peak" he glared after the retreating Messenger and had an inkling that the mother might have done that deliberately. "Every single time Innes Guthrie comes up in conversation you loose your sensibilities!" 

Well that was not an entire lie, but he suspected that had more to do with Cameron, although Briana had not made her move to claim him back yet, it was still there, Andrew had been discreetly looking over the lad, and had grown fond of him. So that was another reason he didn't want Briana heading off to Soldiers Peak, not that he would ever bring Cameron into this, he was not that cruel, he just didn't see what purpose having that tosser back in her life in any shape or form would do. 

He had not been there to look after Bri, Andrew had, and right now his over protective nature was asserting itself. He just needed her to see that.

1 person likes this

It felt like a smack in the face but Briana showed none of her ire, at least not until the messenger was out of ear shot. Her gaze hardened and her jaw became taut as she glared at Andrew. "You knew? And you thought not to tell me?" Briana stood to full height and she pursed her lips as she looked away. She was absolutely livid

After taking in a deep breath she slowly exhaled, feeling a little calmer. "How many times have I told you that I don't care about Innes. Those days are long gone. I'm not that silly naive girl who believes love conquers all!" There was a slight bitterness to her tone, but it had more to do with the fact that Andrew thought she couldn't handle seeing Innes again. She was not some porcelain doll that had to be protected.

"All these years, have I ever tried to contact him again? No!" Briana tried to convince Andrew, yet again, that she did not have feelings for her old flame. She was too scarred to ever think of him in that light again and truth be told if it weren't for Cameron then she wouldn't be entertaining this conversation about the man. But Innes was Cameron's father. And Briana began to wonder that maybe she was being given a sign that she should finally tell him about the child he knew nothing about. "I have not lost my sense. But maybe you have lost yours. We are going to Soldiers' Peak."

1 person likes this

Anyone else would have the good sense to do as thier Captain ordered when she was like that, but Andrew was not about to back down. He had never backed down from Briana and he was not about to start now. If she couldn't see that this was NOT a good idea then he was going to make her see. 

"Let me explain it in a way you will understand" He snarled "Who the fuck looked after you when he fucked off? Who sat by your bedside when you asked for him and had to tell you he wasn't coming" Andrew himself held deep wounds about that, it has almost broken him to see Briana so defeated, so when she had told him about Cameron, he knew she was not lyrium addled or deprived withdrawal.

"If he loved you like he said he did, regardless of what happened Bri he would have more of an effort to have been there for you, he would have told the Chantry what they could do with thier words and been there for you and Cam?" he shook his head "will you tell him about the lad?" 
Andrew had grown fond of the lad, not letting the lad know anything, that was for Bri to do, but on occasions that he had been in his company under the pretext of looking after the charges of the Chantry Orphans, he had grown fond of him, wasn't hard, the boy was the spit of his mother, thankfully. 

Andrew was seething at the moment "he didn't care enough about you to help you then, he didn't even bother to check on you AFTER the events of the lie and what makes you think he is going to care a nugs arse now"

He clenched his fist, if they were going to go at it then that is what they were going to do. 

"I have protected you as you have me, i am sorry i didn't tell you but you know what its for this reason i didn't tell you Captain, going to Soldiers Peak is going to be a bad idea!"

1 person likes this

It was a low blow and Briana winced at Andrew's words. She didn't have those feelings anymore, the hurt and despair, but the memory was vivid enough even after all these years. There was truth to what Andrew said. He had been there for her when she was at her lowest. In her heart she knew if it hadn't been for him she'd have struggled to move on. Andrew was the only one that listened to her when she spoke of Cameron and it was by his efforts that she learned of her son's whereabouts. But in her anger Briana refused to acknowledge that, especially with Andrew rubbing salt in a very old wound. "What do you want me to say? You were right about Innes? Fine, you were right!" Briana shot back angrily. "But you need to understand that none of that matters. Innes... what we were, its not important. I'm not going to Soldiers Peak because of him."

She ran her hand through her hair in frustration, tensing when Andrew brought up Cameron. "I don't know if I should tell Innes about him." And asking Andrew his thoughts on the matter at a time like this wasn't even an option. "He's Cameron's father. Innes was always big on family..." She closed her eyes as her words drifted off. "But I don't know Innes anymore, Andrew. I can't answer that until I know how he is." It was the truth. People changed and she was a prime example of that. Those who knew her a decade ago would not see the same woman standing before them now. Briana was hardened and reserved, the epitome of a Knight of the Chantry. When or if the time came where she could reveal the truth to Innes, it would depend on Innes. Maker! Why of all people did the Warden Commander have to be Innes? And when did he join the Wardens? 

When all was said Briana continued to glare at her best friend. "Stop it!" Briana snapped at Andrew, stepping up to him. "This has nothing to do with Innes Guthrie. It's our duty as Templars to help against any magical threat and I'm not going to compromise that because of my past!" It took an incredible amount of restraint not to smack him when he referred to by title out of spite. But he was going to be that way then she so was she. "I am going to Soldiers Peak. You are going back to Haven." 

1 person likes this

That was a slap. Not riding alongside her. 

Innes guthrie always was the bone between them but, He was not going to back down.

"and if the mages are found wanting? Will you do your duty knight captain?" 

He turned to go then stoppes and got im her space.

"you asked me why i hate him? The day i met him i waa going to tell you how i...  Felt about you." He clenches his fist "happy reunion with the baatard cauae thle only man who should have been cams father is me" He hissed. 

Turnining he began to walk away. 

1 person likes this

Somehow the world must have turned upside down because Briana didn't know what to think or if she even heard correctly! Shocked beyond belief Briana stood speechless as her best friend stormed off. Did he mean that? Briana tried to rationalize what Andrew said but couldn't wrap her mind around it. Surly she heard incorrectly? Andrew was angry, they both were, and sometimes things get said...

Eventually Briana came out of her shock and tried to push the argument out of her thoughts. When she returned to Haven and the two of them had enough time to cool off they could talk about what was said but in the meantime she had orders to fulfill and a past to confront. 

[fin?]

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor