My sisters and I

52 posts in this topic

Autumn 1.png

Date.pngAugust 950

Location.pngFalkenrath Docks, Perendale, Nevarra

Characters.pngMarius, Esme, Bette

Players.png@Jax @Claire @Momo

Requirements.pnggroup

Notes.pngMarius wants to spend time with his sisters, nursing a bruised heart but he has something else up his sleeve. 

Links.png

Autumn Divider 1.png

It had taken him a little time to even think about getting today in some order. A letter from the Necropolis had bruised his heat a little, telling him that Hildegarde was leaving the area and she did not want think it wise to continue, whatever it was they had started. He had moped about for a few days until he had hit on an idea. 

Sending a cryptic letter to his twin and his older sister, he told them to meet him by the families private docks and to bring a picnic, oh and clothes for sailing. nothing more nothing less.  He had been out of the region for a few days, up day and night barely sleeping, in truth he called it a bruised heart but it was broken, and the best way for him to deal with that was, well what he was doing now. 

Besides Esmeralda was due to leave soon and he didn't want her to leave on a bad note, that damn fucking meeting; he banished the thought from his head quickly, This was a day for them, any other loss would be forgotten, it had to be , they needed to be a family again. It would do no good if they all drifted apart would it.

Unfortunately despite his smart clothes, a suit, fine cut and styled in a naval fashion, no more pantaloons for this man, his eyes could not hide the bags that were threatening to drop off at any moment. He sat himself on the dock talking to the men that worked the families ships and waited for his favourite women in the whole world. 

2 people like this

While their sailing day had been a little overdue, Erzsebet did not mind at all waiting for Esme to be able to join them. After their last get together, which had ended up in sore feelings and tears for many of them, this was much preferable. Gathering up her drawing supplies –including those that Marius had gifted her—and their favorite foods for a picnic, Erzsebet skipped along with Esme, heading towards the docks.

“Oh, this is going to be so much fun,” the youngest of the siblings piped in, beaming. Erzsebet was always happy to spend the day with her siblings, although she was a little sad that Crescentia was missing and Marius was currently going through a difficult breakup. Still she planned to be her normal chipper self, forgetting all of her duties for the day! She had even bought a new outfit for the day; a white blouse, navy striped skirt, and a cute hat with a ribbon!

2 people like this

Wearing a outfit that was entirely Esme, the Seeker came to the dock in a black corset that was more functional then famine and a seafaring skirt that matched the corset in colour. She was in high spirits since receiving her orders and she was even happier when her little brother proposed this trip. Esme loved her twin siblings dearly and she had every confidence in them - more than their other sister it seemed. So she smiled and even laughed a little as Bette skipped along the dock but when she noticed Marius she thought he looked tired and his demeanour a little depressed. Perhaps this was what they all needed at the moment? They all missed their parents but they still had each other, and Esme, though she was on missions and had orders all the time always came home to them. She always would, she had promised them that.

When they reached their brother they set down the basket and Esme looked over at the boats. "Which are we taking out?" She asked, "Are we fishing or sailing just us three?"

1 person likes this

Marius raised his hand first, it was none of these and nodding at the sailor beside him turned his sisters to face the water. "First off" he handed Bette a sealed letter "This arrived this morning. It's an acknowledgement of your wish to have an art scholarship set up in mother's name" he smiled a little "took me a little while but i managed to sort out the legal wrangles so you dont have to."

He glanced at Esme and pointed as a small yacht appeared around the headland, pure white and sleek "I found her in an old boating yard, paid for her, worked on her with the lads and lasses here, and just thought you might like her for when you come home" He stuck his hands in his pockets as the craft moved into view and glided effortlessly into the berth that had been set aside for her "Ladies, would you like to have a day aboard the Seekers Rest?" he asked bowing low and taking the keys from the captain handed them to Esme, "She's all your's sis, and its just us three no one else" 

He picked up the picnic hamper and let his sisters go first. 

1 person likes this

As Marius held out the letter for her, Erzsebet squealed happily when she realized what it was. Jumping forward, she grabbed the letter from his hand, ripping it open to read the contents while her brother continued to speak with Esme.  They both finished at about the same time and Erzsebet threw her arms around her brother’s neck.

“Oh Marius! Thank you! Thank you!” Erzsebet hugged Marius tightly, for she hadn’t expected this. She had intended to look into setting up the scholarship herself, but apparently he twin had surprised her! Surprised and extremely happy, she pecked her brother on the cheek before skipping onto the boat, hollering for her siblings to hurry! She just couldn’t wait to be out on the water with them!

2 people like this

It was such a sweet gesture Esme could not help but feel a little shocked. After everything they'd been through together it was just like Marius to think of them and not himself. The Seeker was quiet not because she was being reserved but because she was choked up. A little tear escaped which she brushed away quickly and then smiled. Bette managed to help hide Esme's little moment with her exuberance - which the older sister was grateful for - and she hugged her brother also and thanked him, before boarding the yacht.

Since it was Marius who'd planned it all she demanded - as captain - that he be at the rudder. She threw the rope onto the dock and then unfurled the sails, securing them and letting them catch the wind so they could pull away onto the water.

2 people like this

He did as his older sister "ordered" and guided them out from the docks to a small island that Marius used to come to with his father when he was a boy, It was thier private place, thier place to escape the women of the house, thier place before the madness took hold. 

He wanted it to now be thier place to escape the rigors of the events thrust on them. His, Esme's and Bette's. he let Esme guide them in and tieing the rope waited for them before leading them to a picnic area that overlooked the water. "Shame you have to go back Es" he said as he set the basket down "Would be nice to have caught up with you for a little longer" 

2 people like this

Settling into a nice seat in the middle of the boat, Erzsebet pulled out her drawing pad and charcoal, sketching as Marius guided them out onto the water. She mainly focused on her siblings, wanting to have a reminder of this day. After everything they'd been through recently, she wanted to have visible memories for the good times, ones which they could all look at and smile fondly! 

When Marius spoke up, she had to agree. "Oh, I know!" Erzsebet added, looking towards her sister. "I'm so proud of you for being a Seeker and all, but I really wish you could take a vacation from time to time!" Like Marius, Erzsebet looked up to Esme and certainly enjoyed the times when she was home! 

2 people like this

As she helped lay the blanket and set the food out Esme was quiet. She had heard their wishes on this subject many times before but it had not impacted her quiet so much when mother and father were around. Now she was the eldest of all but she could not even try to put them first, the Divine came upon everything.

"I wish I could too, but tis my duty." It was the same answer she had always given, but this time it weighed more heavily upon her heart.

"Come, tell me about your plans, the both of you." Now their parents were gone she suspected there were things they wanted to do that they'd not been able to do before...

2 people like this

Marius had planned to visit thier cousin in Ghislain, but with recent events he had left that where it lay, relations between Orlais and Nevarra were not on the grandest of terms, and besides he had other things to think about now, things that would put the whole sorry mess with Crescentia and Hildegarde aside. 

"I thought i might start to reopen the mercantile business's we had with Antiva before all this. Convince them we are a good province to deal with again" He sat down and taking his small blade opened the wine bottle and placed it in a cooler, before opening a whisky bottle and doing the same. "That will take some pressure off Bette, is there anything you ladies need me to do?"

Let them give him more to do, more so he could ease his soul and his heart and, more importantly he wanted the people of Perendale to have something good to look forward to, help his twin and ease the burdens of his older sister, after all he knew where her duty lay, always to the Divine, but her heart lay here. If he could ease that then he would have at least felt partly relived. 

2 people like this

"We know," Erzsebet understood, moving to sit beside her sister and squeeze her hand. They would always understand their sister's duty to the Maker! Honestly, Erzsebet was extremely proud of Esme for becoming a Seeker. It was a brave and selfless thing to do, she thought! So she would never try to make Esme's leaving home harder. Like Marius, she always wanted for Esme to feel comfortable doing so and even if they all missed each other, their sister always knew where to find them.

Smiling at Esme's directives to tell them of their plans, Erzsebet allowed Marius to go first. Of course, she was quite surprised by his answer! "Are you really?" she questioned, looking shocked for a moment before an expression of pride replaced it. "Marius that's a wonderful idea!" If they could encourage more trade, then it meant more money and jobs for Perendale, which only did more for their people! 

Erzsebet had to admit, she was extremely proud of the change in Marius of late. No longer did he seem the reckless young man running off on adventures at every chance, but a responsible adult! It certainly made her feel better to know that he was here helping her now. 

2 people like this

"What about your art, Bette?" Esme asked, wanting to prompt more from her. "What is happening with that?" She did not want her little sister bogged down with the duties of the Duchy, even if she was the best candidate she was still young and had ambitions too! 

"And the merchant idea is a good one. I can help with that I believe." She explained. "A Seeker at the negotiations with promote the idea of stability and security. I can do that much at least..."

2 people like this

"Well, we're setting up a scholarship named after mother to support a female artist in the city," Erzsebet replied, digging out the papers Marius had given her and showing them to Esme. After giving her sister a moment to look them over, she continued. "I think it would be nice to have a few public art projects in the city, like refurbishing the old chantry and whatnot. It could be uplifting."

There were of course personal reasons for wanting an artist too, for it was one of Erzsebet's passions beside the running of the duchy itself. "When I find one, I want a proper family portrait too!" she insisted, giving each of her siblings a look.

2 people like this

"Just the three of us?" Esme asked, for it felt odd being the only ones left. "I like this patronage, mother would have approved." Esme handed back the papers, not wanting to get them wet, then turned her attention to Marius. Admittedly she was avoiding the topic of the portrait, she was not sure she was quite ready for that yet. It felt like they were finally admitting that they were orphaned. Even if papa was still alive he was as good as gone, his mind broken and irretrievable.

"Which merchants are you meeting with, Marius?" She asked, "And when? I may be able to schedule my time to suit your meetings." She offered. He did not have to take her up on it but she did want to help the duchy in a more practical way too, just like her younger siblings were. It should never have been this way, but as it was she needed to make sure not all the onus was on them - she needed to pull her weight.

2 people like this

Marius had been listening to his sisters and his mind had wandered somewhat, so he nearly missed Esme talking to him. "Huh? oh sorry, my mind was elsewhere. Merchants, well theres Anton Rolando, his papa was dads closest friend in Antiva, i wrote to Anton and have set up a meeting for the next time he is in Perendale on business thats in a couple of months. I'll send you the details when i have a reply to my last letter." 

He lay out and tucked his hands under his head as he had to think of some of the merchant houses he had approached "There are one or two in Orlais, The Marchants for wine, and the La Foyers for cloth and clothing. Not to mention some in Fereldan." he tipped Bette a wink "see little sister wasn't always fighting when i was in the land of Dogs" 

2 people like this

"Color me surprised," Erzsebet replied, continuing with the merchant conversation instead of the portrait, sensing that Esme was uncomfortable with the idea. She couldn't blame her at all and so she was content to wait. Besides, she still had to find an artist.

So, Erzsebet would continue with this new train of thought instead. "You've been really busy Marius," she commented. "That's so many different merchants you've contacted in such a short time! Have you been sleeping at all?" 

2 people like this

Esme still needed dates but she did not press her brother, though she knew how he did not have the attention to detail that his sisters possessed. Indeed, he was their father's son and they were their mother's daughters! Like Ursula both women was meticulous and intelligent.

"And sleeping with whom?" Esme asked, likely to the surprise of her siblings who no doubt thought her a Chantry prude!

2 people like this

Marius had just taken a sip of his whisky when Esme asked "and sleeping with whom?" the poor lad almost covered his twin in the Whisky that spurted from his mouth, not to mention the coughing fit that immediately followed, and the fact he went three shades of red. 

He would never in a million years expect Esme to ask him such a thing, Bette yes cause, that was Bette, but Esme, she had never enquired before and and Maker why her??? 

He wiped his mouth once his coughing had subsided and apologised to his twin, "err no one you know" he replied and felt his face burn. Well he could hardly tell his older sister, a Seeker, he had slept with an Elven Mage and he shot his twin a slightly pleading look. 

2 people like this

With Esme's addition to her question, Erzsebet began laughing. Marius certainly hadn't been expecting that question! But then, Erzsebet wasn't expecting whiskey to be sprayed all over her face either!

The youngest of the siblings screamed loudly. "Marius!!!!" she exclaimed, reaching out for a towel or anything with which to dry her face. She couldn't believe he'd just spit all over her!

"I should tell Esme all your secrets now!" she insisted, just to get back at him for it.

2 people like this

"No one I'd know? So... someone I don't know then. Interesting." Esme raised an eyebrow, loving how easy it was to tease these two! With them trapped on this boat she could ask them all kinds of awkward questions!

"So Bette, what secrets are we talking about here?" The Seeker smirked and was thoroughly enjoying herself!

2 people like this

Marius looked anywhere but his sisters, his face still burning, but knowing his twin he shook his head and took a long pull of his drink. There had been advantages to being the only boy in the family, this was not one of them. 

He scowled a little thoroughly embarrassed and really not wanting to tell even his older sister, not even Bette knew how much that hurt, it was why he had thrown himself into his work. It had certainly been a lesson in how to grow up. Seeing that neither sister would give up though, he handed Esme  the "dear John" or in this case "Dear Marius" Letter that had arrived for him the day before and busied himself with staring a rather intriguing blade of grass. 

2 people like this

Erzsebet had only been kidding when she threatened to spill Marius' secrets to their older sister, for she would never truly do such a thing! She hadn't expected him to hand Esme the letter from Hildegard though or even to have it with him!

"Marius..." she muttered, now feeling terrible for her words and looking at her brother sadly. The breakup had to be hurting him, she knew that it was. 

2 people like this

Though Esme had not intended for the conversation to go this way she was actually rather glad it had. It was likely she'd never have known about this "Hildegard" - whom she knew nothing about because she looked at the letter to gather what it was, not what it said. Tying off the rope she was holding she carefully crossed the little boat and gave her little brother (though he was taller and bulkier than her too!) and gave him a huge big sisterly hug!

"Any woman who writes such letters doesn't deserve you." She insisted. Handing the letter back she said, "Didn't read it but obviously it's upset you."

2 people like this

"I'll get over it, just thought for all the protestations how elves are better then us Shemlen, she was better then that, i was better then that." Marius shrugged it off, but returned the hug Esme gave him. 

"I will have to be in Orlais on the 7th of Harvestmere to meet with the Marchants, would you meet me there sister? See if we cant bring back much needed trade to our lands and show our people that the dark days are behind us?" He asked as he let her go and for good measure leant over and kissed his twins forehead "No saying i won't go looking for some sort of adventure, but only when i know the burden has been lifted from your shoulders" 

Marius had never wanted to loose his thirst for adventure and he probably never would, but recent upheavals in thier family dynamics, mothers passing, fathers incarcerations and Crescentia...wherever the hell Crescentia was, meant that somethings needed too be addressed and Marius was damned if he was going to let his twin burden it all. It was not fair. 

"Truth is," he murmured as he poured himself another drink "I was running when dads illness got worse, i never thought how much it might impact you two or even Crescentia, for that i am sorry, i cant promise i wont go travelling again, its what i am, but when i do, it will be to make business opportunities for our people." 

2 people like this

Never did Erzsebet love her sister more than in this moment. She didn’t even read the letter, but backed up their brother anyway with consoling words and a hug. The youngest of the three smiled. She felt the same, for anyone who turned down Marius in such a way really was not worth it! He had really cared for the woman, but in the end, he had to move on. It just took time, but he had his sisters there to help.

At least there was plenty to do within Perendale. Listening to her siblings, Erzsebet wished she could go to Orlais too, but she trusted them with the meeting. But, she was almost surprised to hear him still worrying about her!

“Marius, you don’t have to stop traveling or adventuring!” Erzsebet insisted. Really, that was his strong suit, for he made all sorts of acquaintances that way. If he played his cards right, his traveling could really help them, just like this meeting with the merchants. “Go! I can hold the fort, I promise. You could make really good connections for us and travel at the same time.”

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• 37 Posts
    • 67 Posts
    • 26 Posts