Witch

Magic Type Questions

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I have an idea for a new character (idea still forming). Well this new character sparked ideas about a new-ish type of magic and I wanted to run the numbers and see what the possibility would be. 

Please keep in mind that I'm still trying to form the idea.

The base for the magic type is a cross between life leeching spells, and nature/plant magic.

So an example of a few spells would be...

:Novice Level Spell:

"Weakening Spores" - The spell releases a cloud of spores from the mage's hand in a given direction, creeping towards a targeted victim. Upon contact, the spores begin to slightly deplete the life force over time. This also opens them up, making them more susceptible to life leeching spells.

:Master Level Spell:

"(Something) Flora" - The spell summons a large rose shaped flower from the ground. Upon reaching full bloom the Flora would then begin to extract the life-force from those within a given space. Upon either the death of one victim, or the destruction of the flower, the the flower is destroyed and the life energy inside is distributed to the caster.

This is just me testing the waters, please keep in mind I'm still forming ideas and my not have all the answeres to questions you may ask.

Edited by Witch
2 people like this

2 hours ago, Simon said:

OK cool, did you want help with this or is there a problem to solve or something else?

Help would be welcomed, I just have this picture in my head of plant control and life draning abilities. I'm trying to toy with the idea "Nature means life, but then why are these flowere making me feel weak?" haha

1 person likes this

I actually thought we had something similar to this already, or it may be I've seen it RPed. Either, I like, go do! :D As long as there is no ridiculousness (by Thedas standards) then go for it! :D

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Claire said:

I actually thought we had something similar to this already, or it may be I've seen it RPed. Either, I like, go do! :D As long as there is no ridiculousness (by Thedas standards) then go for it! :D

If so that would be perfect haha no work for me XD But yes I understand. Even though it's a nature based magic, I still picture it as a more new form of magic so I dont think a whole lot would be known about it. :) I picture a lot of flowers and thorns that damage the victim and heal the caster. haha Pretty but deadly. ^-^

Edited by Witch
1 person likes this

I say go for it. If you want it can be a magic of the Dalish? Maybe a clan has developed it over thousands of years or it is rediscovered in Ostagar? Similarly, Chasind or other tribal types. Would not think this is a Circle magic, like shapeshifting it would need a nature setting to learn IMO.

3 people like this

I agree, (for sure not a circle magic) but I think it would be more of someone learned all they could from the Dalish, and then splet off to go experament. I want it to be a little more chaotic and not compeltly formed. But maybe we can go with a clan developing it over thousands of years then it was lost and is just now being rediscovered by a group that came across the resting place of the original clan?

1 person likes this

I like the idea of someone adapting the Keeper spec however the Dalish are very strict about who they teach their magic to, so it would have to make sense (the person who originally developed it was a Dalish or at least an elf in the first place. There is little chance that the Dalish would teach such magic to a non elf).

1. elf adapting Keeper spec
  2. clan rediscovering spec and chaotic because it is new and they don't have all the info

I reckon those are the options for the genesis of the magic. ^^

2 people like this

So to tell you the truth I'm not super knolagable on Lore and since I found this site I have been reading my butt off. So to me that sounds great 

Maybe the original Keeper who basicly created this magic is called the Corrupted Keeper (or something like that) because he took Nature and Creation magic, and twisted it to be something else? Would that work? haha

But yeah any ideas is good ^-^

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Witch said:

So to tell you the truth I'm not super knolagable on Lore and since I found this site I have been reading my butt off. So to me that sounds great 

Maybe the original Keeper who basicly created this magic is called the Corrupted Keeper (or something like that) because he took Nature and Creation magic, and twisted it to be something else? Would that work? haha

But yeah any ideas is good ^-^

Love it! GO with that!

And dawwwww... wanna be my lore apprentice? lol

2 people like this

Can I pitch in with an idea? Maybe you can link it to entropy magic "Entropy spells are all about crippling and damaging foes." link since it's the magic school that focuses more on 'negative' spells like paralyses and various hexes. 

Maybe have them uncover this around Ostagar, that's where a majority of dalish clans are now gathered and lot of old lore is being reviewed! Plus this gives your charrie lots of elves to interact with.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Zhavirah said:

Can I pitch in with an idea? Maybe you can link it to entropy magic "Entropy spells are all about crippling and damaging foes." link since it's the magic school that focuses more on 'negative' spells like paralyses and various hexes. 

Maybe have them uncover this around Ostagar, that's where a majority of dalish clans are now gathered and lot of old lore is being reviewed! Plus this gives your charrie lots of elves to interact with.

I thought about that too, I also thought about it being a cross between Creation and Entropy. I see it very much as a cross between Healing magic and Draining magic. Because it's taking life from one, but also giving it to another? But I wanted to bring in a plant/nature aspect. Some what like "the circle of life" that people often think about in nature. "In order to survive one must take from another" type of thing. :)

Also I like the Lory goodness ^-^ thank you. 

10 minutes ago, Claire said:

Love it! GO with that!

And dawwwww... wanna be my lore apprentice? lol

Yesssssssssss!!! lore apprentice! ^-^

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Witch said:

Yesssssssssss!!! lore apprentice! ^-^

If you want to add me to Skype go ahead - clairebfield@gmail.com

I am free at the end of May, so can and will begin then. ;)

Just now, Claire said:

If you want to add me to Skype go ahead - clairebfield@gmail.com

I am free at the end of May, so can and will begin then. ;)

I don't/haven't used Skype in a long time. I have discord though? Do you have one of those? I don't use Skype because my laptop is old and hates trying to open it.

But yeah I remember, I have been working on ideas for the wand Lore haha

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Witch said:

I don't/haven't used Skype in a long time. I have discord though? Do you have one of those? I don't use Skype because my laptop is old and hates trying to open it.

But yeah I remember, I have been working on ideas for the wand Lore haha

Oh, I have discord too! What is you handle there?

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Claire said:

Oh, I have discord too! What is you handle there?

I go by Person #8720 on there ^-^ Its the one with a picture of a blue and green bunny with wings